All gender-specific terms used in this text apply equally to both men and women.
- This Code of Professional Conduct lays down the standards of professionalism, integrity and confidentiality which all members of the Croatian Society of Conference Interpreters (hereinafter: the Society) undertake to uphold. The standards are binding also for candidates for membership of the Society.
- Any breach of these standards shall be subject to disciplinary proceedings before the Court of Honour.
- Members of the Society are bound by the duty of professional secrecy in the fullest and strictest sense. This duty extends to all information that members come to have during the practice of the interpreting profession. In particular, members shall not use any such information to derive any pecuniary gain.
- Members of the Society shall interpret faithfully and impartially, and disqualify themselves promptly in any case of conflict of interest.
- Members of the Society shall not accept assignments that they are unable to carry out in a reasonably competent and professional manner.
- Members of the Society shall neither accept nor offer working conditions that do not conform to the Professional Conference Interpreting Standards. Members shall stipulate all working conditions and the terms and conditions for the provision of service before they accept the contract.
- Members shall discharge commitments that they have taken on in accordance with the Professional Conference Interpreting Standards, which also govern the procedure in case of a justified withdrawal.
- Members of the Society shall cooperate only with interpreters who have adequate professional skills and ethical qualities, and who can be expected to discharge their assignments professionally and in keeping with this Code and the Professional Conference Interpreting Standards.
- Members of the Society shall refrain from statements and actions, both offline and online, that could harm the reputation of the Society and its members. They shall endeavour to uphold the reputation of the profession by engaging their clients and colleagues in a courteous, discreet and measured manner.
- Members of the Society have a duty to continuously raise the levels of their knowledge and skills, including by taking part whenever possible in the activities of the Society or other relevant professional seminars.
- Members of the Society shall refrain from any form of unfair competition, including deliberate dumping practices with respect to competitors, misleading self-promotion, or making disparaging remarks about, or baseless criticism of, the work of other interpreters.
- Members of the Society shall support their colleagues with all necessary assistance and collegiality.
- If unable to participate in the activities of the Society for a period of time, members shall inform the Steering Committee accordingly.
- All internal disputes shall be resolved exclusively within the Society and before its bodies (Court of Honour and Steering Committee).
Adopted by the General Assembly of the Society held in Zagreb on 31 January 2020